1.blog awards ireland

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Introductions...

Whereas some people get writers block, I often find myself with a case of writer’s runs. I am very verbal. And when it comes to writing I get even more speedy, knowing that it’s just me and my laptop and my fingers slaving away for me. Like a runner on an open track, I’m free, fast and happy when left alone with my computer, typing away…

Like any new parent, my child is the center of my world and, of course, my favorite topic of conversation. I can talk for hours about my son. I adore him. He is the sweetest, cutest, most fascinating little person I’ve ever met. He is heaven!

When my little beautiful boy was born almost 18 months ago, my world changed for the better. I started to see new meaning in life. My priorities shifted. I matured. My marriage changed. Because now that we’ve been blessed with our little bundle of love, my husband and I understand that we were put on this earth to devote ourselves to caring for our son. And it’s a job that I embrace with every fiber of my being. I love being a mother.

Matt, (not his real name) is learning to walk, learning to feed himself, learning to talk, and very slowly, learning what Time-Out is all about. This is the age of discovery. And as for me, I’m learning the best way to teach him all these things. My view is that Matty needs support and gentle encouragement and he’ll reach his milestones in his own time. I have many dear, dear friends who let me know that nobody is keeping track of when baby X accomplishes sleeping through the night, and when baby Y rolls over for the first time, and when baby Z masters potty training. Too many mothers out there are so competitive and line their kids up like wind up toy cars and try and race them against each other to the finish line. Not me. For my husband and me, it’s our kid who’s got the gold medal. We lie in bed at night saying the same thing we’ve said since his birth- we got the best one. Love is such a powerful force. It’s a beautiful thing. It can heal you. Blind you. And quite simply, make everything alright. And I don’t take this for granted. Not for one second. When Matt was born he had to spend quite a bit of time in the hospital. So without going in to too much detail, I can tell you that this feeling of elation, of immense gratitude for my son, of celebration for his precious life and this incredible blessing that is little Matty, oh I don’t for a millisecond take the love and the kisses and the cuddles I have for him for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment